Saturday, October 30, 2010

Ballet Flats: So Pretty, So Bad for Your Feet

Poop.

I already knew that I wasn't supposed to be walking around in ballet flats. But I keep a pair at my desk at work anyway in case my outfit that day does not go with heels. The last time I wore them, my plantar fascia hurt. Like I had to take time off from running, hurt.

Two weeks ago (when I took a  kickboxing class) I got a terrible charley horse in my sleep and my calf was SORE. So I thought I'd give my calves a break and wear the flats for a day. How bad could it be? Well lets just say that while I was recounting this to my podiatrist he made the "Ooh, you shouldn't have done that" face. 

Safe to say I will be spending the rest of this fall not running. Bye-bye, 5K PR. For now.

When I tell my coworkers (who are well-versed in foot injuries from running) about having plantar fasciitis I get the same "That's awful!" reaction. But to tell the truth, I'm a little relieved. I honestly thought I may have had a fracture. But x-rays showed otherwise, so PHEW. I just need lots of rest, ice, stretching, and staying away from damned flats.

I'm consoling myself by taking cabs (doctor-recommended) instead of trekking all over Manhattan when I have errands and buying a new pair of heels (on sale, at like 80% off baby!).

Talk to pro-athletes and they'll most likely tell you to "Listen to your body" as a key piece of advice. My body's definitely yelling at me. I'm listening now!

No comments:

Post a Comment