Monday, August 2, 2010

Week Without Coffee - DONE!

I don't know why I chose to give up coffee as part of my to-do list. Yes, I like a challenge, and yes, a part of me likes to inflict pain on myself, but I also like to think that I wanted to test myself in case I ever got addicted to something and needed rehab. I know now that rehab and withdrawal from serious substances must be AWFUL. (I'm rooting for you Lindsay Lohan!)

I started my Week Without Coffee on a Saturday. I figured with two days of the weekend under my belt, I'd be more capable of facing the work week sans cafe. Did it really make a difference? Meh.

Because I knew I would forget about this whole blogging on a regular basis thing, I kind of live-blogged (does Google Buzz count as blogging? Sure.) the entire week.

Monday, Day 3 of Week Without Coffee. I want to cry. I want chocolate. (Honestly, I don't think Monday was the hardest day. I was just half asleep most of the time.)
Day 4 of Week Without Coffee. 1 cup of black tea at 7:30, 1 withdrawal headache at 10. Nice.
Day 5. Woke up with a headache, first thought: iced coffee, mmmm. I'm not caving! (I lay in bed ready to give up on this, I swear. But as much as I love coffee, I am also hard-headed. I did not cave.)
Day 6. At the elevator on my way to my desk, I want to cry. Upon opening my inbox, I want to cry. Cofffeeeeeeeee. (Did I mention I wanted to cry? But at the end of that day, I surprisingly got a lot done. Random burst of productivity or was I actually getting by without my preferred caffeine dose?)
Day 7. I'm pretty sure I'm craving comfort food as a substitute for coffee. I can't stand tea right now. (I remember having a cup of black tea - my 2nd - on my desk and wanting to fling it against the wall. But I didn't. I also didn't finish it. I also skipped a new workout I really wanted to try because I was exhausted, hungry and had no patience for hoity-toity men who do yoga without their shirts on. I want to workout, not have a fashion show, damnit. Be flamboyant in your own space. I considered getting an iced coffee because technically the last time I had coffee was the Friday morning the week before, but I didn't. Instead I had some Chipotle. No regrets.)
You'd think after all this the first thing I'd do on Saturday morning was have a cup of coffee. But nope. I had a banana and black tea and went for a morning run. AND THEN, I had coffee with my pancakes. Aaand then I passed out on my couch having barely finished my cup. Ah, gotta love having a high caffeine tolerance. 


What did I get out of all this? I learned that if I ever need to go to rehab, I would cry. But I might also make it. And that if I didn't have coffee, I'd compensate with chocolate, cake and other junk food. I'll stick to coffee.

2 comments:

  1. i always used to think that caffeine addiction was funny because it wasnt real, but not anymore. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. mar, http://www.thinkgeek.com/brain/whereisit.cgi?t=caffeinated&x=0&y=0

    they have caffeinated everything! candy, beer, jerky....even soap!

    ReplyDelete