Saturday, December 11, 2010

I'm 25. Aaaack!

Happy birthday to me!

Today I no longer fit in to the 18-24 years old age bracket. From now on, any survey I fill out will have the 25-29 box checked. That is, until I turn 30 (oh my god.). And so because I figured out months ago that there was no way I would complete this 25 before 25 list , I am turning it into a 30 before 30 list. Tada!

Am I setting myself up for another impossible to-do list? Maybe. But I've got 5 years to figure it out. Here are the new additions:


26. Learn to ride a bike.
I never learned. I owned a tricycle and after I outgrew that, I had no desire to transition to a 2-wheeler. I mean, it's not like I would have been allowed to ride it anywhere outside our house. Blame my overprotective parents and my natural clumsiness. So why now? Because I'm sick of hearing people's gasps when I tell them I don't know how to ride a bike. Yeah, you heard that right.

27. Get my driver's license.
I got started on this when I was 18. Got my learner's permit, paid for driving lessons, drove on a parkway and notorious Queens streets without hitting anyone (phew!), then dropped it because I had bigger priorities, namely, getting a magazine job. But after tackling that on my to-do list and realizing that I may not always live in New York City (I love you NYC, but you're a high-maintenance lover, and it's about time I got the upperhand in this relationship.), I'm accepting that being able to drive is pretty important. So watch out, pedestrians!

28. Explore the Philippines.
I grew up in the Philippines. I've spent 4 (or 5?)  vacations there. Next month, I leave for another trip to the motherland. But it's a shame that I've never really explored the country beyond the cities where my family live. I think I've spent more time going to malls than doing anything cultural. Not to knock the awesome shopping experience -- malls with ice skating rinks and concierge service? Hell freakin yeah! But it's time I got to know my country a little better. For starters, here's a nice list with things to do in the Philippines.

29. Lead a volunteer project.
In the past year I've been a proud member of New York Cares, a non-profit dedicated in providing needed services through volunteer work. I figured I needed to do something better with my life besides work, eat, shop and sleep. Last summer I became a Team Leader, who is a volunteer in charge of specific projects. Partly because of my schedule and partly because I haven't found the perfect project, I haven't put that "Team Leader" badge to use, but that will change. (BTW, I strongly suggest becoming a member. These projects are some of the most fulfilling work I've done and you get a reminder that there are people who are willing to work for something other than personal gain.)

30. ____________________
I'm not really sure what to put for this one. Should I learn a new skill, like sewing or pottery? Take up swimming as I originally planned? Go on vacation by myself? Run a marathon (even though I'm still recovering from injury. Maybe we can alter that to a HALF marathon)? Buy my own place? (I can already hear NYC real estate laughing at me.) What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment