Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Anticipating 2012

I wanted to write a year in review post -- because it seems like everyone is doing their own Top # Things in 2011 -- but I think my last post from September pretty much sums up the highlights. God, that makes my life sound boring.

So! Instead, upon realizing that I don't have anything specific to look forward to in 2012, that's what we're going to talk about.
  • To trying more new things. Do you know the feeling of accomplishing something you didn't think you could possibly be good at? It's amazing. Like good sex amazing. If you don't, I highly suggest throwing yourself out of your comfort zone as soon as possible and doing something crazy. Like a pole dancing class. Haha, only half joking here. I still have a Groupon for tennis lessons and sewing lessons to use up, but I'm going to stop ignoring this list and try crossing more things off, and not just because 30's slowly creeping up.
  • To staying hungry. I just read Steve Jobs' sister's eulogy (yes, I'm late) and it's inspiring to know someone who did what he loved, and worked at it -- hard. I want that kind of determination and passion. Though I may put in long hours, I feel like I've been walking around with an eh attitude. What's being pessimistic going to do for me? If I'm going to do something, I might as well give it 100%. (Also, I still have a little less than 4 years to make this list.) Sorry in advance for the constant emails, coworkers. 
  • To getting what you want. They say you don't get what you don't ask for. And in all of the numerous stories about why women are behind in the workplace, this is always one of the reasons. I know I'm guilty of this, including outside work, like in relationships and being kind to myself. So I'm going to be unapologetic about what I want, what I need and what I deserve.
Of course, there are some not so profound things I'm excited about: like a work ski trip, planning more travels, and possibly another hair color change. 

What's in store for your 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment