Sunday, May 23, 2010

#25 in Progress

Ever since high school I tried joining Filipino-American organizations at school. I'd attend a couple of meetings and then bail. Why? It seemed like the organizations' purpose was solely for partying. I don't need to join a club to get drunk, thankyouverymuch.

Now as an adult and with slightly more leadership experience, I have more options (and lower standards when it comes to who I drink with. Kidding!). I've joined CORE, a non-profit organization for empowering Filipino-Americans. I have a couple of ideas for new programs I want to launch, so fingers crossed that they don't fall through. This is very vague only because it's not even in planning stages yet.

This Friday I had dinner with other Filipinos and Gawad Kalinga, a Philippine-based organization whose goal is to eradicate poverty in the Philippines through community building. It was refreshing to hear from the founder who's passionate about making his country a better place, someone whose motives weren't to gain political power or fame. I'm glad that there are people, even if it's just a handful, with the vision and integrity to create organizations like GK.

Enough of this. I ran out of things to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment