Friday, August 20, 2010

Giving Up on #1... Or Not?

Getting something published in print was the first thing that came to mind when putting together this list because it was part of my original career goals. When I went to school for journalism, the plan was to be an on-staff writer at a magazine. But in media, technology shapes the business, and I found myself going down a road to be a web editor/writer -- which isn't a bad thing. It's the future. Or the present, really.

So putting this on the list was a way to get back to that original goal (without losing my full-time job, heh). But I'm going to be honest with myself and say I don't have the time or heart to do it anymore. Pitching and writing freelance work is another full-time job on its own -- it's not as easy as Carrie Bradshaw and other TV frauds make it seem. And I'd like to be able to have a life outside of work. Spending time in front of a screen is just not how one should spend life. There.

Or...for a non-quitter's version, after some shuffling at work I've found myself contributing to the print pages a little more. Because I want to keep this blog separate from my job (it's that whole I-want-to-keep-my-job reason again), I won't mention names, but if you know me, like know me, you know where I work, so pick up a copy and scan the front pages for my bylines. No 2,000 in-depth articles (yet?), but it's my name in print.

I like to think of this as a mature decision because I don't like giving up on anything. Seriously. (I'm still working on being a Sudoku master.) But you have to realize when you have too much on your plate and decide what's more important in your life.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment