Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Life Advice from Old People

The New York Times has a great piece on life advice from 80-something-year-olds. Maybe it was the arrogance/ignorance of youth, but as I'm getting older I find that there is soooo much more to learn than I imagined. So advice from people who've been around much longer is valuable. A few things that I'm taking to heart:

On work: Besides the usual do-what-makes-you-happy blah blah, there's this: "keep in mind that a promotion may be flattering and lucrative but not worth it if it takes you away from what you most enjoy doing." Life-work balance is hard to achieve, but I'm working on it.

On getting older: "Embrace it. Don’t fight it. Growing older is both an attitude and a process." and “Don’t waste your time worrying about getting old." I'm loving 26 so far.

On travel: "Travel more when you’re young rather than wait until the children are grown or you are retired." and  "'Travel is so rewarding that it should take precedence over other things younger people spend money on.' Create a bucket list now and start whittling it down." I think this blog covers the bucket list part, but this is a good reminder for me to skip the new purse/shoes/skirt and plan more adventures, invest in experiences.

On attitude: "You are not responsible for all the things that happen to you, but you are completely in control of your attitude and your reactions to them...Adopt a policy of being joyful." I'm a firm believer in mind over matter. Your attitude affects your actions, so choose a positive one. I will wake up tomorrow and think "I am awesome." OK, maybe not, but I will say "I have coffee, let's do this."

No comments:

Post a Comment